One Born Every Minute: Episode 5 ~ The Brighton Dad blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One Born Every Minute: Episode 5

One Born Every Minute is an interesting programme for expectant parents, fascinating and informative, of course; inspiring and moving too – but it might also be terrifying depending on how you and/or your partner is feeling towards your impending birth.

I hadn't seen previous episodes. Neither my seven months' pregnant wife nor I were that fussed to watch it. We thought it would be tabloid-scary, like reading all the Daily Mail's horror pregnancy stories in one go.

Instead, it was a subtle look at labour and birth and a valuable look at how one 'natural' birth progressed as well as how a caesarian works – something we haven't discussed in our antenatal classes yet.

For Dads in particular last night's episode offered us only one father-to-be, Ross, and...

...he was actually pretty good, despite only being a teenager himself. In fact I was impressed by his quiet support and positive attitude. He also wasn't afraid to have a little cry while his pregnant partner's mother was chatting to him about the baby. I hope that young Ross makes a good Dad.

Having missed previous episodes, I know that there have been some shocking Dads-to-be on the programme and I think a lot of that comes from not reading enough and not doing enough preparation. Maybe the Dads that were failing to support their partners in the right way did not attend an antenatal class. Also, men sometimes get embarrassed easily and can react in the wrong way.

Time will tell how I handle labour. But One Born Every Minute will at least help me to understand how some Dads-to-be cope, as well as continue my education as to what labour is all about.

I'll be tuning in next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment